Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Now full disclosure – I have gathered information from various websites and articles to help me write this one!

Sea Slugs look like blobs of jelly.  They wash up on our beaches and are very interesting to our dogs.  They can camouflage themselves, which makes them even more dangerous – we often don’t see them before our dogs do.

Tragically, dogs can die from coming into contact with a toxic Sea Slug.  The Sea Slug secretes a toxic dye and slime but also can have a toxic slime layer on the over their bodies.  Once a dog licks or picks up a Sea Slug, they can ingest the dye or slime.  This can cause spasms and other reactions.  I have heard it said that even if a dog licks the sand/seaweed where a Sea Slug has been, it can become extremely unwell. This is due to part of the slime layer being left on sand or seaweed.

So what are some of the signs you need to look out for? Over-excitement, tremors, seizures, drooling and vomiting.  But lets be honest, if you see your dog even touch a sea slug, you’ll take Fluffy to the vet, won’t you?

As for humans – while we technically can pick up the Sea Slugs, it’s recommended we don’t.  If we touch our eyes, face, mouth after picking up a Sea Slug we also may experience a reaction.  Whilst not as severe as a doggie’s reaction – it may not be pleasant.

If you are at the beach and you see a Sea Slug, please do the right thing and advise other dog parents.

Leave a reply

More to explorer

Pet Homestay Service

Our Pet Homestay Service is exactly that – your pets stay home when you go away.  This service differs to

Read More

Snake Avoidance Training

Every year since Scouty was 6 months old, we’ve attended Snake Avoidance Training.  Living and walking where we do, it’s

Read More